Monday, January 27, 2014

To Macklemore and Ryan Lewis...THANK YOU!!!

Everyone is talking about the Grammy's last night.  From Taylor Swifts GIFtable moments (head banging?), Pharrell's hat (channeling Smokey the Bear) Paul McCartney and Ringo.....but I stayed up to watch Macklemore and Ryan Lewis perform Same Love with Mary Lambert, Queen Latifah and Madonna.

I have loved Macklemore since 2011 when I heard "My Oh My".  His rhymes are smooth and important.  He has something to say.  Not the typical cars, money, girls, drugs that is around rap.  But he talks about REAL LIFE.

So when Same Love came out, I had chills.  This song, this video, every live performance, I tear up.  Not only believe I have a strong belief in Gay rights and Gay marriage, but because I believe in Love.  And when Mary Lambert starts singing the line "I'm not crying on Sunday", I lose it.  This is personal for her.  As a catholic and as a lesbian, she found herself in a situation where she was not accepted by her religion, but she wanted to be.

But this performance takes the cake!  During the performance, Queen Latifah actually married 34 couples.  And get this, they were straight, gay, different religions, nationalities...it was about LOVE.  lets celebrate LOVE!!

I dare you to watch this without crying.

But to be honest, I thought it could have been better without Madonna.  Mary Lambert can sing circles around her!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment