Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Just finish!

I read a great article on Runners World today about a woman who ran her first 5k and came in last.  It reminded me a lot of myself!

I am not a natural for long distance running.  I am short (5'2"), I was a sprinter starting at age 9 and the mechanics for sprinting are different then a longer distance. I was also really out of shape when I began my running journey (more about that here).

But the thing that stood out from me in this article was this:
(about finishing last in the authors first 5k)

"It's not a huge, unspeakable embarrassment. In fact, no one cares. Not one of the other runners remembers I was the one who finished last. And all my friends and family remember is I said I'd run a 5K and I did it."

This is so true.  

It doesn't matter your time.  It doesn't matter how pretty you look.  It doesn't matter if you have the greatest form or the coolest running shoes.  What matters is that you do it.  You work hard.  You finish.

I am so proud of myself for being able to finish.  Even if it is dead last.

For the full article, go here!

No comments:

Post a Comment