Monday, October 21, 2013

My first 5k!

I am new to running.  In fact, I have always hated running.  It bores me.  But it is the only thing that makes my body look like it did before the little minions came into my life.  So I do it.

I decided last spring to take up running more seriously.  I discovered that I could barely run a mile.  How was I going to get this going?  I am the queen of excuses.  Some of them include:
"I have no one to watch the kids while I run"
"I have no one to run with"
"I don't know where to run"
"just......no."

But I laced up my shoes and kept with it.  I complained the whole time.

Then something amazing happened.  I discovered a group called Who I Run 4.  It matches runners (or walkers, cross fit doers, Yoga doers and such) to children with diseases or disorders that make it so they can't be as physical.  All you do is get matched and you dedicate your runs and work outs to them.  No money is exchanged.  It is a new wave pen pal system.

I got the honor to be matched with a little boy named Knox.  He is now 9 months old and has APERT syndrome and Lobar Holoprosencephaly. He has already had surgery to correct his webbed hands and feet.  And he is having his first cranial surgery on Nov 6th.  Because he is so close to my baby's age and he has a brother who is close to my oldest daughters age, it really hits home for me.  So now I am held accountable.  I have to run for him.  I promised him and I keep my promises.

So, I did my runs the best I could.  I was only able to run once or twice a week, but I did it anyway I could.  I am also a hiker and did a ton of hikes.  Luckily I live in an area where there is great hiking 20-30 mins from my house.

I signed up for my first 5k, a Halloween themed one.  Then I realized.  I have never ran 5k without stopping.  Holy crap, what did I just get myself into!  And I also have this weird phobia of running in front of people.  And for those who know me may think that is crazy....I love to be the center of attention normally but running?  No way, Jose.

2 weeks before my race, I had a BAD sinus infection.  I didn't run at all.  I couldn't breathe!  How am I going to run this race and not breathe!?  I was freakin' out a little.  A week before the race, I attempted my first 5k.  I got to mile two and couldn't stop coughing.  I couldn't finish.  And then the excuses came.

I am too sick to train.  I need to rest.  I can't finish the race.

Oh crap...I have already signed up (no refunds), I already told Knox and his family that I was going to do this AND I bragged to my friends and family.  I HAD to attempt it.

Morning of the race, I was nervous.  But I set my expectations low.  Just finish, is what I told myself.  If I have to walk, just walk fast and don't stop.  Keep moving.

Before my race, I watched Ava do her first race, a half mile.  She had a grin on her face the whole time!  She did great and didn't stop!  She is not even 4 yet and she finished strong!  Right before my race she told me "Run fast mommy!  You can do it!".


She was right.  The race started, I pushed play on my 5k playlist that I made on Spotify, and I was off.  I just ran.  and ran.  and ran.  The first half mile my muscles started hurting.  My breathing was labored a little too much.  I didn't feel comfortable.  But I couldn't stop.  Then I got into a zone.  I have heard of that racer zone, but never experienced it.  I listened to my tunes and thought about my form and just relaxed.  Then I saw a sign up ahead.  It said I hit the 2 mile marker....WHA!?  Already?  I thought I was at 1!  And I felt great!

I pushed mysef to pick up the pace and I went for it.  I saw the finish line.  I saw Nick, Ava and Stella.  I saw Nick with his camera and a big, proud grin.  I made the last turn and dashed to the finish.


Now, this race was not timed, but I timed it myself....and I got a personal record!  42 mins!  I blasted my best of 45mins.  AND I NEVER STOPPED RUNNING!  Now I am hooked and signed up for 3 more 5k's before the new year.

Now it is the day after....and I am tired and sore.  But I am still gearing up for my next race!!


No comments:

Post a Comment