Thursday, November 7, 2013

Recipe Wednesday (Thursday)

Today is a personal favorite....ROASTED DUCK!

When I was pregnant with Ava, I discovered   craved duck.  The restaurant by our condo (RIP, Shallots, you are missed!) made the best roasted duck and we would eat their almost weekly.  The server knew me and knew what I wanted.

GIVE THE PREGNANT LADY A DUCK!!

So I decided to learn how to make it myself.  I was a little scared of duck at first.  I have heard it burns easily if not watched, it can dry out, it is not very meaty, etc.   But I forged forward, went to Costco, and payed $15 for a whole, frozen duck.

The first time I made it, I paid close attention as it was cooking.  And it turned out very well!  Now I have a couple of different recipes for it but the method is the same.  And I would love to share it with you!

First off, you need 4 hours to roast this baby and you need to be home the entire time.  It takes a lot of attention, but trust me....it is worth it!

First off, preheat your oven to 300 degrees.

Take your defrosted duck and take out the neck and giblets from the cavity.  You can use the neck and the rest of the parts (except the liver) to make stock.  I use the liver to saute and make a pate out if it.  But I will tell you, not many people like liver pate.  I on the other hand......

Here is a pic of the giblets...the liver is the large, brown yucky thing.  But so yummy!

Next, rinse the duck with water, inside and out and pat dry with a towel.
Cut off the extra neck skin.  I save it and roast it separately in my toaster oven for the duck fat.  But you can toss it if you want.

Now the hard part.  A duck is super fatty.  So you need to cut a diamond in the fat all over the duck, making sure not to cut all the way down to the meat, or else it will dry out.  Use a sharp pairing knife and slowly cut a diamond shape.

I accidentally went down to the meat in a couple of parts, but luckily, it did not dry out.

Also, check for quills (bottom part of feathers).  Once in a while, I will get a duck that still has some quills. Use tweezers to pull them out.

Truss the duck and fold the wings under.
If you need help with trussing, click here.

Salt and Pepper the duck to your liking.  If you are going to use a sauce (like the recipe I have at the end of the post), then a small amount is fine.

Once the duck has been trussed and scored, put it in a roasting pan on a roasting rack and roast for 1 hour at 300 degrees.

After the first hour, take it out and poke holes all over the bird with your pairing knife.  The step will release the juices and makes the skin super crispy.  Try not to expose the meat.

Flip the bird breast side down, cook for one hour.

Take it out, then poke holes again, flip it breast side up and cook 1 hour.

Take it out, poke holes again, flip it breast side down and (you guessed it) cook for an hour.

While that is cooking, make the glaze.  Add 3 cups of orange juice, 1/3 honey, 1/4 cup soy sauce to a sauce pan.  Bring to a boil over medium heat then let simmer for 20 mins.  If you want a little kick to it, add 3 tablespoons of Sriracha Sauce to it.  I do it and it is a nice change of pace!

Once that is done, take the duck out, up the temp of the oven to 400.  Once that is preheated, put the duck back in, breast side up for 10 mins.


Take duck out and brush the glaze all over the duck. (If you are saving the duck fat, which I highly recommend, take it out BEFORE you brush with the glaze).

Put back in the oven, still breast side up and cook for an additional 5 mins.

Take it out, let it rest for a few minutes, then carve it up like a chicken and enjoy!!







No comments:

Post a Comment