Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Recipe Wednesday!

Today's recipe is Spaghetti Squash Fritters!

I am a squash nut.  I never liked squash before but since I had to make a bunch of it when my oldest was a baby, I learned to love it!  It is all in the preparation.

I made this recipe because my husband loves crab cakes and this is like a crab cake without the crab.  And a bonus, my 10 year old niece who is super picky loved them!

Full recipe is here.
I changed the amount for the fritters a little bit because I added more spinach and I love cheese so I added more cheese.

First, cut a Spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and remove the seeds.

Put in a microwave safe plate and cover with damp paper towel.  Heat for 20 minutes.

Once done, let sit for 10 minutes to cool.  When it is cool, take a fork and scoop out the insides so it looks like Spaghetti (hence the creative name, Spaghetti Squash).

Heat a skillet on medium.  Add some olive oil (about 2 tablespoons). Add spinach leaves.  The recipe calls for 8 ounces, but I found that was too little for me, so I doubled it.  Remember, the spinach will shrink up when cooked.

Once cooked, Take the spinach and squash and put it in a dry paper towel or clean kitchen towel.  Wrap it up and squeeze out all the liquid (or as much as you can) and make sure the spinach is cool before you do this....the liquid can get pretty hot. ;)

Coarsely chop the spinach and squash.  Place in a bowl.

Add 1/2 cup of Panko crumbs, 1/4 Parmesan cheese, 2 tablespoons garlic, one teaspoon black pepper and 1/4 teaspoon of Baking powder.  Combine.

Next, we need to fluff up some egg whites.  I had help from my 4 year old with this step!
Take two large egg whites and beat them with an electric beater until peaks form.  I tried to take a picture of what it looks like, but it didn't turn out so well.  But I will post the pic anyways.

Looks like whip cream!  Well, ok... maybe this picture looks ore like tapioca.  I am not a photographer!

Now gently fold the egg cream in with the other bowl of ingredients.

Now to assemble the fritters.

Take a 1/4 cup, fill it with the mixture.  Round it out and make it into a small cake/pancake.  You don't want it too flat.  The recipe says make them 3/4 inch thick, but I made it about an inch think.  It was more filling that way!

Heat a nonstick skillet over medium head.  Add 2 tablespoons of oil (I used olive, you can use veggie or canola if you so choose).  Heat the fritters until crispy on each side (about 3 minutes per side).

Once they are cooked, keep warm.

Now to make the sauce.  I am not hugely excited about the sauce.  It was a little bland to me so I added some oregano and minced garlic.  That seemed to help.

Mix 5 teaspoons of canola mayonnaise with 2 teaspoons of 2% milk, 2 teaspoons with Sriracha (recipe calls for one teaspoon but I like it spicy), and 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar.  This is when I added some oregano and minced garlic and some black pepper.

Now add the sauce to the top of the fritters and serve!

I think I may do more of an crab cake aioli sauce next time.  But it was a great start!





No comments:

Post a Comment